Literature in English
Mrs. Najia Z. Nazir
Assignment :Reading of the Novel
ReadingWuthering Heights by Emile Bronte, with Specific emphasis on the first 10 chapters
Unit 1.5-2.2, Term 1, 2009-10
- You are being allocated a fortnight’s period to read the complete novel with specific focus on the critical reading of the first 10 chapters.
- You are expected to use the information disseminated through classroom discussions and lectures to form your personal opinions regarding various character traits, themes ,setting, background of the author, structure, and choice of narrative
- Use highlighter while you read to codify the particular themes. You can devise your own keys to represent the themes
- After the completion of this assignment you will be required to appear for the presentation session which carries 15 % of your Formative Grading profile .
Use the following general pointers to assist your reading of the entire novel
- Told by two narrators
- Choice of Lockwood as a narrator
- Advantages to the choice of Nelly Dean as the recounter of much of the tale’s background
- Participation of her in the tale?
- Reliability of Nelly Dean
- Personality of the narrators
- The role of the social class
- In one’s upbringing and shaping of personality
- Clashes amongst the classes
- Role that the servants ( Nelly, Joseph and Zillah) play
- Use of setting
- Influence of isolation and location of the novel’s northern Yorkshire setting on the tone and events of the story
- Are there symbolic elements to the descriptions of the houses and their landscapes?
- Each character’s motivations for becoming involved in his or her relationship (beyond “s/he was in love!!”)
- Motherhood and Parenting
- Characters suffering from childhood neglect
- Effects of harsh child upbringing
- Recurring scenes of violence
- Motives of the violent characters
- Little opposition that they face from their surroundings
Elements of Interest and Suspense
Recommended Web Resources