Act I Scene 1
1. In talking with the tribunes do the commoners show:
- a cringing fear
- a scornful contempt
- a good-natured desire to annoy the officials?
2. With which group of people do you sympathize- the commoners or the tribunes? Why?
3. Would you say Shakespeare’s main purpose of the scene was :
- to provide a touch of humour for the beginning of the play
- to foreshadow a serious conflict
- to introduce the main characters?
Act I Scene 2
1. As the scene begins ,
- What attitude do various characters seem to take toward Caesar?
- What physical weaknesses of Caesar are revealed later in the scene? How is each one brought out?
- Does Cesar show any signs of being superstitious?
- How good is he at sizing up individuals?
- Of the men around him, which could he safely trust?
- How do we know the common people of Rome loved and idolized him